Re: [udig-devel] render performance

At 17:48 29/06/2005, Jesse Eichar wrote:
Points do not use the optimized shapefile renderer so are slower compared to lines so that may be the problem. I had thought that the normal renderer would be good enough for points but perhaps I was wrong. I tried it on a 1.6 Mhz AMD and it took about 7 seconds. I admit it is a little slower than I would like and I'm sure it could be improved down to about 4 seconds without too much difficulty. Is that what you'd like?

That would certainly be good! It would also be good to have visibility of what changes were required to provide such an improvement (i.e. I was not aware there was an 'optimized' and 'unoptimized' shapefile renderer), so that we can be aware of that and potentially contribute improvements if we do further work in that area ourselves.

 If so please file a bug report with the JIRA bug track, (or ask me to)

I just filed: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/UDIG-549

cheers,

Vince Darley
CEO, Eurobios UK Ltd