Re: [udig-devel] Vector Editing Tools (was Creating new datasets...)

Dave Sampson wrote:

Jesse,

Sounds like what we were doing. I'm trying to push for a full open source workflow, so clipping and other geoprocessing is done through GRASS. Digitizing and line munipulation through QGIS. many of the GIS apps coming out in the open source world lack GOOD vector editing, and manipulation (geoprocessing?). I'll probably resurect JUMP until some better tools come around.

Well if you are willing to help with the testing uDig will get a lot better in a hurry :-) We are actually looking forward to playing with as much of the open source projects and libraries as we can manage. There has been talk of a wrapper on the GDAL library for example. I would not mind working with gvSig if I could understand their documentation.

if you have not explored GRASS (6.1 CVS) and QGIS (0.7 pre 1)take a look at the new vector engine.

Thanks.

I like the web stuff with UDIG so would like to see some good DEV with local vectors (then export EVRYTHING as a MAP file). That would make at least one happy GIS GRUNT.

Could I interest you in a a OGC Context document export (so other clients can see the same thing)? I am happy to make a MAP file as well, but we are more likely to make a GeoServer configuration export first (simply because we know that community).

I assume you have been following the OpenSDI list where people are talking about ways to make all of this a bit easier?

Jody

Back to the top