Re: [udig-devel] Creating new dataset from selected features.

Dave Sampson wrote:

Jody,

thanks for the repsonse....

Devel env for UDIG. Nope, is there a tutorial on setting one up I assume its java and eclipse. no experience with java or eclipse other than having tried setting up the environment and java SDE once and messed things up large. Scared ever since.

Well we do have a Quickstart, development env takes about 30 min to set up.

how would I be able to preview the tutorial to see if I would even want to try?

Well the raw source code is here:
- http://svn.geotools.org/udig/trunk/tutorials/net.refractions.udig.tutorials.shpexport/

But the course that goes along with that is something you have to fly me out for.

If there is ever a need for acid testers of exporting shapes I can help as I'm constantly splitting, merging, cutting, clipping and filtering shapes files (but stuck in the ESRI world for that). If I get a good result then I know right away, if I don't I can try to forward what went wrong. Who do I talk to in order to help out?

The devel list (and me). So you are doing it already.

Lets try another approach. I want to set up a community section for the project. Where extra stuff that is not ready for prime-time can live. If I can setup a shape export wizard there you can try it out, and we can refine it until you are happy (and then include it in the public release).

As I said earlier showing up with a problem and testing time is a very good way to contribute to an open source project.

I'll dump some thoughts in the bug tracker (wishlist).

Thanks!
Jody

Back to the top