Re: [che-dev] Simplify mounting of project sources to plugins

On 24. 01. 19 9:39, tmader@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 2019-01-23 at 14:20 +0100, Mario wrote:
In that case, we'd somehow need to communicate the location (env
var

perhaps?) to the tooling in the container at the start-up time.

Yes we should decide on a convention for plugin developers about
that. An environment variable looks like the best solution. But
again, I think you should split this work in 2 separate PRs: first
the mountSources flag (default is ), second the sourcesPath
attribute.

I don't think adding an additional env var will help us, here's why:

  * LSP already has a mechanism for setting up source locations
("workspaceLocation" and "workspaceFolders" ).
  * In the case of Go, tools already rely on a environment variable:
$GOPATH. Setting up a second variable will not add anything to that.
  * It will not work for vscode plugins packaged as Che plugins, because
they are not aware of Che. This is an important use case, since it's
our favoured approach for providing language support.

We somehow need to bridge the gap. Since Che is cloud based and we're trying to use plugins of a desktop IDE, there are bound to be occasions where additional scaffolding is going to be needed. IMHO, this is one of the cases. That said, I'm all ears for better ideas.

In this concrete case, IMHO just something along the lines of

env:
- name: GOPATH
  value: "$(CHE_SOURCE_ROOT)"

would do the trick on the tooling container which IMHO is not that much of an obstacle. It's not like the vscode plugins are usable in Che without any preparation of the container anyway.

Do you think what I outline in
https://www.eclipse.org/lists/che-dev/msg02999.html is a workable path forward?

/Thomas