Re: [udig-devel] Contents of the uDig Git repo and the initial contribution

On 04/06/2013 10:39 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
The devel/ directory contains some "installer" bits that appear to be NullSoft installer-specific. This potentially makes the NullSoft installer a third-party dependency that is subject to the IP Due Diligence process. I'm not sure about whether or not the distribution license is acceptable. This will require some additional investigation.
Agreed, until that can be reviewed I would like to keep the installer scripts from "deploy" in the mix.

Is there an approved "windows installer" package that the eclipse foundation projects make use of?
No. This is a point of some frustration for me. There have been a few attempts to create a proper Windows installer for Eclipse packages, but none of these efforts have been taken to completion.

I would like to continue to publish a windows installer for uDig as it makes a comfortable first impression for new users.
I think it would be cool to have uDig drive the installer discussion. I can see if we can get some additional support from the Eclipse Packaging Project (EPP) which is responsible for producing the packages on our downloads page.

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but anything that gets distributed from locationtech.org needs to be taken through the full IP Due Diligence process. Any installer code that is actually distributed from our servers would need to be reviewed; I think that we can make a case that the tools that build the installer are exempt. To make this work, uDig will have to sponsor the IP review of NullSoft (or some equivalent) assuming the licensing terms are acceptable.

AFAIK, we've never tried to do this, so I have no sense how much work it would be for the IP team.

Do you have any sense for what bits are included in the installers NullSoft creates?
Should we pull the tutorial source as well, or would you rather keep it with the project?
I would like to keep the tutorial plugins with the codebase, it is always a struggle to keep examples up to date and having them in the same codebase (subject to the same refactorings to org.locationtech.udig) will help.
Sounds fine to me. It's your call.

Jody

--
Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects, The Eclipse Foundation

Back to the top