Re: [udig-devel] Contents of the uDig Git repo and the initial contribution

Wayne, thanks for directing it to this list! Comments inlined ..

In generell I miss a description what CQ and "piggyback" stands for. Could you please explain?

2013/4/5 Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
The devel/ directory contains some "installer" bits that appear to be NullSoft installer-specific. This potentially makes the NullSoft installer a third-party dependency that is subject to the IP Due Diligence process. I'm not sure about whether or not the distribution license is acceptable. This will require some additional investigation.

Installer scripts (*.nsi) are just source scripts to create a windows installer. To create an installer from such source file you need runtime components from nullsoft - these are not committed in the repository. If developers have nullsoft installed on their hosts they can create an installer, otherwise not. So we don't have any direct dependency to nullsoft software and can build uDIG completely without it.

If the intent is just to provide scripts that can be used to generate the installer, but not actually distribute the results, then we may be able to get away with a "works with" CQ (see discussion below). If the intent is to distribute the installer, then we have some work to do.
> Here's the list of JARs that I found:
>
> ./docs/devel/en/net.refractions.udig.sld.export_1.0.0.jar

I am not sure what this is - it appears to be an accident.
If it's not required, then it should be removed from the initial contribution. By virtue of it being a JAR, I believe that Sharon has already removed it.

OK, created a pull request for the origin repository to fix this issue: https://github.com/uDig/udig-platform/pull/167
Updated sphinx docs because otherwise the build would fail if the jar is not available.

In General : What is the working copy we can collaborate, is the initial contribution already a repository (possible a temporary) at locationtech? If so, how can we access it
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.jai.macosx/src/net/refractions/udig/jai_core.jar
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.jai.macosx/src/net/refractions/udig/jai_codec.jar
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.jai.macosx/src/net/refractions/udig/clibwrapper_jiio.jar
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.jai.macosx/src/net/refractions/udig/jai_imageio.jar
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.jai.macosx/src/net/refractions/udig/mlibwrapper_jai.jar

Third-party CQs needed (and it will be a pain).
OK, maybe we can start with work I've already done to make JAI/Image IO available as a bundle with native fragments. Normally JAI/JAI Image IO is provided in the libs/ext folder of the Jave Runtime installation. Because its definitely required to run uDIG we set up a guide how to build a JRE and provide it e.g. with the installer.

Could have the IP Team a look at the following URL (including sub directories): https://github.com/fgdrf/udig-platform/tree/jai2/libs/jai-imageio

Should we pull the tutorial source as well, or would you rather keep it with the project?

Perhaps the tutorial can remain on GitHub.

IMHO : please pull the tutorials as well, its a part of the whole documentation. However, could you specify the files you are talking about. Do you mean *.rst files of pdf/odf?

FWIW, some work has been done on jai_imageio, but there was some problematic code. At some point--should you choose to pursue it--we can just open a CQ and get IP team to help us sort out what needs to be done.
> ./plugins/org.apache.log4j/log4j-1.2.12.jar

Third-party CQs needed.
Version 1.2.13 and 1.2.15 are both approved. Can you just update to one of those versions?

Independent from what CQ means I started working on a change in the root pom to resolve 1.2.13 or 1.2.15 from ORBIT P2 repository. How can we share changes (see questions on collaboration above)

"Works with" ?
> ./plugins/com.lowagie.itext/lib/itextasian-1.5.2.jar
> ./plugins/com.lowagie.itext/lib/iText-2.1.7.jar

Third-party CQs needed?  Our intension was to hang back on whatever version is
approved for BIRT.
A "piggyback" CQ is needed if you're directly accessing the libraries. CQ 1537 covers iText 1.45.2 and CQ 3475 covers iText 2.1.7.

I guess its the same issue like log4j dependency resolution. IMHO 2.1.7 would be fine, like BIRT project depends on.
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.jai/src/net/refractions/udig/jai_core.jar
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.jai/src/net/refractions/udig/jai_codec.jar
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.jai/src/net/refractions/udig/clibwrapper_jiio.jar
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.jai/src/net/refractions/udig/jai_imageio.jar
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.jai/src/net/refractions/udig/mlibwrapper_jai.jar

Repeat of above.
i.e. they are not required?
> ./plugins/net.refractions.udig.catalog.wmt/mq.jar

Third-party CQs needed - we can talk to Jesse Eichar to identify the jar.

> ./features/net.refractions.udig-site.community/artifacts.jar
> ./features/net.refractions.udig-site.community/content.jar

Remove - I am not sure what these are for.
They look like p2 artifacts. Frank suggested (on the CQ) that a .gitignore entry should be created for these.

HTH

Cheers
- Frank

Wayne

--
Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects, The Eclipse Foundation