Re: [udig-devel] questions about JRE's and gdal

Comments inline...

2012/1/6 Jody Garnett <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx>
Frank I am available for testing if needed.

Nice, I just pushed into jai branch the last refactorings. But currently gdal natives are only available for windows 32/64 bit right now.

I do have a linux VM setup; if a quick test confirmation is needed - however it is not one I use for active development so my ability to debug is limited.

Notes:
- You may as well delete  net.refractions.udig.jai and net.refractions.udig.jai.macosx from your branch if they are no longer useful.
- Can I try your branch on mac; to confirm the pure JAI and ImageIO jars work as expected?

You can, I will test as well. Independently from the host os, its required to have the libs/gdal and libs/jai_imageio bundles imported into workspace. I would suggest to use a clean JRE without any JAI and gdal jars/native libs.

How would you like to proceed on this one? get everything working and do a pull request? or do several pull requests with testing at each step.

Let's finish the linux natives and after that we can go ahead.

Right now I'm totally confused how the relations are between catalog.geotools / catalog.imageio and all the others. I'm not sure but in my workspace the whole catalog.getools stack doesn't work:
- Datastore Shapefile (shp) extension can't be chosen within the Add Data Wizard, NPE occures --> WHAT's the different to catalog.shapefile ?!
- geotools itself tries to load imagio classes as well as imageio-ext classes - in udig the catalog.imageio does IMHO the same but in a totally different way.
- the  catalog.imageio doesn't work correctly for "jp2","j2k", net.refractions.udig.catalog.imageio.ImageServiceExtension.getFactoryForObject(URL, File) returns null (NITF), Any suggestions here?
- net.refractions.udig.catalog.geotools.data.FileDataStoreFormatProvider returns extenstions in a format the Wizard Dialog cant handle correctly (.shp instead of *.shp)
- Is it correctly to have different providers (geotools, imageio) and which one is chosen if the user selects a file?

I guess a lot to do and to clarify. Please comment lines and I will, if necessary create JIRA issues for that. At first I'd like to get some feedback, some issues could be a problem with my environment!!

Cheers, Frank

--
Jody Garnett