Re: [udig-devel] Strategy for E4?

On 30/07/2010, at 12:36 PM, Miles Parker wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Ian Mayo <ianmayo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Me?  Give E4 a go?  I'm building up the courage to give 3.6 a go!
>>>
>>> Seriously, it took a lot of frustration & black magic to get p2 in 3.5
>>> working - to give my users an update site.  I'm nervous of breaking it
>>> all by moving to 3.6.
>>
>> Oh cool - we looked at using p2 in 3.5 and 3.6 but we are still using
>> the old update site
>> technology. One thing I noticed is that only P2 is available in Eclipse 4.
>
> It's not too hard of a transition really. And it works much much much better. :) Plus you can use things like the new MarketPlace mechanism, etc.. Also, the build integration is easier..

So how do we do it!  I made the technical changes for 1.2-RC2 but the update site would not work for anyone (so we failed).
We need to try again once 1.2.0 goes out; and any pointers you could give us would be a great help.

>>> I won't really have the resources for an E4 trial until 2011. But,
>>> hey, it's not due for release until Summer 2011 anyway - and who wants
>>> to adopt V1 of anything....
>>
>> The idea was to see if we could get it on screen; I got close but they have
>> some kind of dependency injection now and a naming convention of "ds"
>> (I am going to guess dispaly system?).
>
> Yeah, I considered trying it out for my project but then saw the dependency injection stuff and thought "maybe when I have an extra week to kill". (i.e. not anytime soon.)

Indeed!

Still if you do have an evening to kill we would love a hand next week:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/1.2.0

Jody

Back to the top