Re: [udig-devel] Strategy for E4?

On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Ian Mayo <ianmayo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Me?  Give E4 a go?  I'm building up the courage to give 3.6 a go!
>>
>> Seriously, it took a lot of frustration & black magic to get p2 in 3.5
>> working - to give my users an update site.  I'm nervous of breaking it
>> all by moving to 3.6.
>
> Oh cool - we looked at using p2 in 3.5 and 3.6 but we are still using
> the old update site
> technology. One thing I noticed is that only P2 is available in Eclipse 4.

It's not too hard of a transition really. And it works much much much better. :) Plus you can use things like the new MarketPlace mechanism, etc.. Also, the build integration is easier..

>> I won't really have the resources for an E4 trial until 2011. But,
>> hey, it's not due for release until Summer 2011 anyway - and who wants
>> to adopt V1 of anything....
>
> The idea was to see if we could get it on screen; I got close but they have
> some kind of dependency injection now and a naming convention of "ds"
> (I am going to guess dispaly system?).

Yeah, I considered trying it out for my project but then saw the dependency injection stuff and thought "maybe when I have an extra week to kill". (i.e. not anytime soon.)

Back to the top