Re: [udig-devel] Back in black

Hi folks,
sorry for late reply, am abroad.
Some quick inline comments.

[...]
> Is the jgrass console a groovy one? I had a look at the groovy console in
> udig, and it is a lot of fun! There is (was?) a couple of broken things, but
> I got it running enough to start learning and using it for small things
> (basically for trying out this and that before I code it in Java).

Yes, the JGrass console is groovy, but can also support beanshell
(with a setting change).
The fact is that we didn't need only a console for spatial operations,
but also for integrating modeling languages.
That means that you can use groovy for normal scripting and have
commands to read and write rasters, variables that define the active
calculation envelope, with its resolutions and so on.

The console of jgrass also generates code for linking openmi compliant
models and execute them along a timeline in a given timestep. Also it
generates code for executing native GRASS commands. The next step
would be to integrate R commands to do some statistical analysis
inside the scripts.

I am willing to talk and to bring the groovy console into uDig, but
that requires also to bring chunks of JGrass into uDig, which again
would require an indeep discussion.

My only wish it that we do not start to make just one console efforth
a default, since that would confuse people, from the moment JGrass
would add its own.

I am in Fort Collins til Monday, so a next week IRC to talk abotu this
would be fine for me.

Ciao
Andrea

PS: here in Fort Collins we are discussing also the possibility to
have the JGrass console as a meeting point between the OMS efforth and
the JGrass/OpenMI effort. I know that most of you do not care, but
from a GIS/environmental analyses point of view it would be an
important cooperation.