Re: [udig-devel] Back in black

Hi Craig,

Craig Taverner wrote:
Hi Ugo,

Is the jgrass console a groovy one? I had a look at the groovy console in
udig, and it is a lot of fun! There is (was?) a couple of broken things, but
I got it running enough to start learning and using it for small things
(basically for trying out this and that before I code it in Java).
I'd really appreciate if it were included as a view (why not make this and
other consoles integral part udig). (I do know people who don't develop, but
are such power users that they'd be happy to have access to udig data -
features, geometries, etc. - through a console interface.)

I can't speak for the JGrass console, but the one I did is a JRuby console
with support for plugging in a startup script to enable a DSL. Right now all
it does is create a few useful utility methods like 'maps', 'layers' and
'features' for easy access to the data model. But these are just wrappers on
slightly longer syntax, just so you don't have to remember the complete data
tree structure. You can still do everything the hard way (or 'proper way'
perhaps :-). Since it is IRB, it is very interactive and easy to explore the
data model. You still have to keep in mind that on the Java side of things
there are class castings and IAdaptable things going on, but all in all
JRuby gives a nice syntax for working with that.

I gave a small writeup on it at
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/HACK/JRuby+Console

AWEsome ;-)

You'll find the uDig groovy console (or should I call it Jesse's console, as I think it's his private contrib project) also has shortcut methods like yours: maps, layers, features, etc.

I'm biased towards groovy, but for no special reason (except that's related to Java and that's, er..., trendy or groovy, and that I had decided to learn it).

JUMP had a BeanShell console that I found very useful for trying things out, doing small data manipulation and sending to colleagues for them to use.

I see no reason a groovy console should be preferred. Perhaps it's best to agree on a uDig/Console Category to allow all those consoles (jython developers out there?) to be brought into the GUI through the same View menu.

Anway, great work!

Cheers,

Ugo

It would be relatively easy to add to uDIG. In fact it's already separated
it into a base part that could be added to any RCP app, and a product
specific part (which is currently only a uDIG specific part). Only the
branding is non-uDIG.

If there is increasing interest in this, I could try 'release' it for public
use in uDIG. Currently it is only tested against uDIG 1.1, but I think there
should be little, if any, changes to get it working on uDIG 1.2.

Cheers, Craig
(AmanziCat on #udig)