Re: [udig-devel] udig-1.2 for linux and mac

Personally I really, really dislike the idea of asking someone
download your copy of the jre in linux.  Because all popular distos
now have very good package managment it is much better to say do
apt-get install jai-imageio then to force someone to download another
whole jre.  Besides being a time consuming waste of bandwidth it
prevents the user form upgrading.  The current version of java
1.6.0_11 while we are still force everyone to use 1.6.0_04.  This
would be even worse if there had been a major security vulnerability
discovered in java.  A user could upgrade their regular java an think
they are safe and then still be affected by the problem in the uDig
jre.  So actually the best thing to do would be to submit udig to the
various distros mainlly Debian and Red Hat (and Gentoo)  and then
people can just go "sudo apt-get insall udig" to install udig.