Re: [udig-devel] Help with simple plugin

Hey Cory,

thanks a lot for your info, this tutorial helped me a lot :).

I´m still fighting but am starting to understand a bit. I dont know,
but I´m finding uDig a little bit too complex. I just want to add a
layer to the map, and I seem to have to implement a lot of classes to
do that :( .

Does anyone know if are there some (UML?) diagrams to help me
understanding the big picture? I couldnt find any (neither on the site
nor searching on Google). Or maybe some docs on this inter-relation
between the classes/interfaces like Map, Layer, Feature, FeatureType,
etc.

Thanks,
-Pedro Da Ros

On 6/5/07, Cory Horner <chorner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pedro Da Ros wrote:
> I took a look on the tutorials (I had seen only the one on the site,
> the "distancemeasure" one), and they helped me getting started on the
> plugin, as I managed to add a button to the toolbar and create a map
> and a layer when the user clicks the button :).
>
> But I've been struggling for over 2 hours trying to add features to
> the layer but I cant... tried to create a feature schema and set to
> the layer but couldnt... nor create individual features (managed to
> create a feature collection with empty feature type, but didnt manage
> to create the features itself to populate the collection). I could
> create "Point"s, but didnt manage to convert them to Features to add
> to the layer.
>
> I couldnt find the example that reads from an ASCII file and renders
> to a layer, that one should cover my problem, I think.

Pedro,

I've written a crude tutorial here:

http://svn.geotools.org/udig/community/chorner/net.refractions.udig.tutorials.txtDataStore/

but haven't had time to clean it up or document it well.  It may help
you out though, as it does successfully read points in from an ascii
file (i believe the format was x,y one per line.

Cheers,
Cory.