[udig-devel] Re: [Geotools-devel] An example of code sprint - crash the party

Chris Holmes wrote:
If possible I'd really push for at least three to four days for sprinting. The non-geo half of TOPP has lots of sprinting experience, indeed they're off to a sprint next week. They say one day can be successful, but you need to have a really good idea of what you're doing beforehand, and to be pretty experienced with sprints. They've done up to 8 days, so 3-4 sounds like a good amount to get started with.
Chris so far we have a single day with the facilities, and this will be at the end of the conference so I expect everyone to be tired.

I think the real goal here is to allow the developers time to interact with the public at large (last time we tended to hid in corners and code).
I think it could make good sense to have geotools/geoserver/udig all sprinting in the same place. Have a few different goals, with different groups of people focused on them, but easily be able to grab people from other groups.
It is going to be tough call; can I actually have a conference call with one of your non-geo TOPP people about sprints (more information would be nice).

So far the things I like are cross project:
- Take the Feature model and update GeoTools / uDig / GeoServer
- Sit down with the other OSGeo projects and work on metadata interchange
I'm planning on having all of TOPP out at the conference, and can definitely have us all come early or stick around after to work away. If there's a good space out there we could all get that would be great.
If you feel strongly about the 3 days mark I can ask if the Refractions office could be available for the weekend, but it would be something arranged outside of the bounds of the formal OSGeo sponsored sprint.

Jody
Chris

Jody Garnett wrote:
Andrea Antonello wrote:
What do you mean by "crash the party" (sometimes miss some pieces of
language)? Mix up the two things?
A "party crasher" is someone who goes to a party with out an invitation (just to eat the free food). There was a recent movie called wedding crashers (a comedy that involved crashing wedding receptions for free bridesmaids plus food).

However uDig is *invited* to this party. If we can round up enough people then we can set aside a room and internet for a uDig hackfest. (Indeed GeoServer has not expressed any interest at this time).

One idea I had was to take on a tough problem: such as updating the feature model in geotools - and running the change through uDig and GeoServer it
would be a long day (but save us all lots of grief).
I'm setting up a WIKI page for ideas for the code sprint.
Great! I will soon contribute some stuff
If code sprint day is Friday, perhaps that can be our warm up and we can
do our real uDig hack session monday/tuesday (i'm sure several of the
uDiggers will want to attend the Geotools sprint too).  Are many
planning on hanging around the following week?
If there is this code sprint opportunity for udiggers I give my +1 for
the following week.

Andrea