Re: [udig-devel] standard way to do file access and exception throwing

Andrea Antonello wrote:
Alright, it was just that I didn't feel good to use File and
BufferedReader or RandomAccessFile without thinking about remote files.
However a JGrass database will always be local, so I don't think there
will be problems. But you never know :)
Occasionally you have to (gasp!) let go of abstraction and do some real work :-)
(But don't let Paul here me say this)
If you look at recent eclipse builds they have done a neat trick. They
have methods on their IResource instances that return something that is
"almost" like a Java File. Pretty sure this is in Eclipse 3.2?

Can you look at this facility and see if it works for you? I would like
to stick with normal eclipse constructs as often as possible.
I would be delighted, but I need a clearer direction to look at. I'm an
eclipse framework newbie...
- http://www.eclipsezone.com/articles/efs/
- http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Eclipse_File_Service_APIs_Compared

Jesse we should look over the above article for some catalog ideas.
Can I ask for the specific context in which you are trying to handle the
Exception?  For a uDig operation you should just be able to "throw" and
uDig will take care of the notification.
Great. That is perfect.
We aim to please (because contributing code should be as easy as we can make it).
out on. But so far normal Framework advice is the best (capture the
error handling as part of managing the extension point and don't force
any error handling code on contributors).
Yes, that is very nice, if you are a contibutor like me :)
You were talking about eclipse books. Could you give me some reference
to a good book that also covers SWT? I think copy and paste won't be
enough at a certain point. :)
We have a reading list on the web site .. I enjoyed the building commercial quality plugins book that "also covers SWT" (mostly
because the SWT coverage it does have is the tricky stuff).

Here is the link:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/5+Reading+List

Not sure if the book Jesse mentioned has been added yet.

Jody

Back to the top