[udig-devel] Time to say Goodbye to Style View?

Just shows how little time I have lately, this is my first > 2 minute review of uDig in months and months. The 1.1 series is looking great so far, though performance on OS/X remains gooey. On the plus side, I can accomplish things like viewing data and whatnot on OS/X which I could not in the 1.0 series. All this as an aside to my question...

- Given that the right-click "Style" option on a Layer in the Layers view pops up a dialogue containing Thematic and Simple styling - The existence of an equally named "Style" view at the bottom, containing *only* a Simple style panel (and no obvious path to the thematics) is confusing indeed. How about we finish the transition, and admit that yes, we are going to suck it up and do our styling in a dialogue, period. - If we go 100% dialogue, it would make sense for "Simple" to be the default starting option rather than thematic.

On the thematic stuff, playing with it shows just how complex the problem is, and how much work is involved in addressing it. Good work Cory! Note that the widgets don't quite layout perfectly in OS/ X, there is some scrunching around the edges. Probably the main additional feature that leapt out at me as desirable was "memory"... having twiddled the knobs to get just the right theme, if I come back to make a minor adjustment, I have to re-twiddle them all again, which is a pain.

Minor aesthetic question, there is a dropdown with "type filter text" at the top of the style panel... it is sort of extraneous given the three highly visible options...

Back to the top