Re: [udig-devel] Time to say Goodbye to Style View?

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 08:32 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> How about we finish the transition,
> and admit that yes, we are going to suck it up and do our styling in
> a dialogue, period.

This is a really tough question that needs to be tought about in terms
of workflow.

Before making up my mind on the subject, I want to try both in a
different context. I'm playing with geospatial operations (buffering)
and wondered how users would want to act. I've implemented 'Adrian's
really simple point layer buffering op' in a dialog and want to code
'Adrian's...point layer to grid layer op' in a view so as to compare the
two. Obviously, if a user does something once, then a dialog is better
but a view works better for repeated ops. In views layout are a problem
because you have to consider if the view will be tall and thin versus
short and wide.

Apart from the "adobe will sue" issue, is it possible to create some swt
group or jface widget that can be equally easily thrown into either a
dialog or a view? I was hoping to figure this out eventually.

In uDig 1.1, for now, could you simply rename the sytling view
"QuickStyle" and punt the more major question for the longer term?

--adrian

Back to the top