[udig-devel] RC4 impressions and bugs

Hello,

In my opinion one of the fundamental advantages of UDIG is his ease of use (of the power hidden inside). It is important feature for desktop GIS comparing for example with mapserver type products where administrator makes UI for special kinds of clients. However this feature can be the source of problems as system can work in many contexts.
Here are some of them while I was working with shapefiles:

1. Improper mapwindow refresh when there is only one layer in the project. After switching layer off, it doesn't go out from map window. 2. Sometimes it is drawing only the last feature in the layer. However identyfing works, so features are "invisible"?. 3. Sometimes shade of layer's fill color changes slightly while refreshing map. 4. There is no possibility to identify features on layer with a huge number of features (35.000). Also editing of such a layer is not possible. 5. Labeling not working if set for the first time for the layer. After setting up all parameters (field, font,...) and confirmation red checkmark appears on the layer name. Closing the project and opening it again makes labels for this layer working ok. 6. Changes in preferences dialog are not possible to save (error appears). Even closing dialog without any changes with OK button shows error. 7. Improper layer status message refreshing (under layers window). For example message is "No features rendered" because layer is far from current view and after zooming to layer message stays without change. Only after changing focus in layers window to another layer and back, status message changes.
8. Layer->Analysis->Information->FeatureCount doesn't make or show anything.
9. There are no pictures in help

Enough for now.
I did not try functionality associated with OGC webservices yet ;)
Anyway I admire the project and results.

Grzegorz Myrda