Re: [iot-pmc] Eclipse Embedded CDT 6.0.0 major release

To my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) the project existed for a long time, but outside the Eclipse Foundation.

The incubation phase exists for a bunch of reasons [1], code quality is one of them. Learning the Eclipse processes is another. That is very close to like other foundations do it as well.

Traditionally projects also start out with a 0.x version number, which is not the case here I think. That would say more about code quality and maturity than the "incubation" state.

So I would say it makes sense to go through the incubation phase. Learn about the processes, and learn how to align with the SimRel releases. Talk about graduation a bit later.

Cheers

Jens

[1]: https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#release-graduation

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 12:07 PM Hudalla Kai (IOC/PAP-HU) <Kai.Hudalla@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04.12.20 18:05, Jonah Graham wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 10:04, Hudalla Kai (IOC/PAP-HU)
> <Kai.Hudalla@xxxxxxxx <mailto:Kai.Hudalla@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Ok, looks good. I just saw that the Branding Rules do not seem to
>     require the link for Reporting a Vulnerability [1]. However, you should
>     add it to the footer as well.
>

> Done. https://eclipse-embed-cdt.github.io/
> <https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url="">>

Ok, that's settled then :-)

https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/iot.embed-cdt/reviews/6.0.0-release-review
> <https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url="">>
>

>     My understanding is that the project has already been
>     around for several years within the Eclipse Foundation under a different
>     name? Is that also the reason  why there hadn't been any release review
>     for any of the recent releases?
>

> The project has been around for 10+ years extending Eclipse IDE + CDT
> from the outside. Last year Frédéric Desbiens convinced Liviu - the
> project lead - to bring the project to the Eclipse Foundation. Liviu has
> been running this project for a long time and it is integrated into many
> embedded companies' Eclipse based products. For me as the Eclipse CDT
> project lead I am delighted to have this project under the foundation as
> it helps secure its long term viability. There is a new top level
> Eclipse IDE download which features this set of plug-ins in the 2020-12
> release (RC1 here[1]). I believe this is the first IoT project to join
> the SimRel.

Ok, understood.

> The issue we are seeing here is the disconnect from what Incubation
> means within Eclipse, and with the general view of what Incubation means
> to the wider community. For the Eclipse EPP project the incubating
> labelling has been removed from the download page and the download file
> names (See Bug 564214
> <
https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url="">>).
> So while the embed-cdt project is still new to the Eclipse Development
> Process, and in my role as mentor I am working with Liviu the project
> lead, there is a strong desire to graduate out of incubation to reflect
> the maturity of this project in the wider community.

I see.

> As for why there were no release reviews - I am not sure, but probably
> because they were really milestones building up towards the first
> official release 6.0.0 of the plug-ins as part of the Eclipse 2020-12
> release. Or perhaps just learning the development process.

Taking a look at [1] it actually looks like these have been distributed
already. "Learning the development process" is exactly what the
incubation phase at Eclipse is supposed to be the context for, right?

I do understand your concerns regarding the "negative connotation" that
the Incubation branding might induce for the community's perception of
the project's code maturity. On the other hand, I am not really
convinced that the project has successfully learned the (Eclipse) ropes
yet. I would therefore propose to postpone the graduation review for the
time being. Personally, I would have no problem with omitting the
Incubation branding from the website. However, I would also like to hear
the other PMC members' opinion on this and we will also need to get
Wayne Beaton's consent.

@PMC members: WDYT?

[1]
https://github.com/eclipse-embed-cdt/org.eclipse.epp.packages/releases

> Does the IoT PMC still see this project as aligned with the goals of the
> IoT top level project?
>

>     Maybe you can shed some light on this, Roger?
>

> Sorry - as not being particularly familiar with the IoT PMC, I am unsure
> who Roger is. Is Roger part of the PMC, I didn't see his name there[2] -
> but I did see Roger Light as a top contributor to the IoT set of projects?

My bad, I meant you, Jonah. I got the names mingled up as we are
currently also in conversation with the Mosquitto project ...

> I hope this helps shed light on things and I look forward to continuing
> this conversation.

Absolutely, thanks for the information.

https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/iot/who
> <https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url="">> <https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url="">>

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla

Software Developer - Bosch IoT Hub

Bosch.IO GmbH
Ullsteinstr. 128
12109 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch.io

Registered Office: Berlin, Registration Court: Amtsgericht
Charlottenburg; HRB 148411 B
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lücke;
Managing Directors: Dr. Stefan Ferber, Dr. Aleksandar Mitrovic, Yvonne
Reckling

Jens Reimann
Principal Software Engineer / R&D Product Middleware
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany
phone: +49 89 2050 71286

Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael O'Neill

Back to the top