Re: [glassfish-dev] GlassFish updates for the javax -> jakarta transition

> On Jan 14, 2020, at 12:13 PM, Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Russell Gold wrote on 1/13/20 10:46 AM:
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> I mean that there are 5 subprojects in GlassFish that use these dependencies.
> Do you have that list?

It’s a simple find (easier in an IDE).

pfl-asm, pfl-tf-tools and pfl-basic-tools are all found in the following POMs:

appserver/extras/embedded/all
appserver/extras/embedded/web
appserver/extras/embedded/shell/glassfish-embedded-static-shell
nucleus/featuresets/nucleus
nucleus/parent

I don’t know if they are actually used in any of the code.

> From Lukas it sounds like Metro is one of the items on that list.

Metro is its own project; I’m only looking at the GlassFish repository. I don’t know how to search across all GlassFish projects.

> Is the goal to get all of them to either stop using asm, or to use "standard"
> asm so they can switch to using a version of asm that works with JDK 11?

Yes; I suspect that most of GlassFish is already doing this.

>> There should be no reason for pfl-asm to exist, as far as I can tell.
> Isn't the reason for it to exist is that it provides asm in a different package
> so that it doesn't conflict with any version of asm that might be used by
> applications?

That may well have been the original intent if GlassFish doesn’t segregate its class loaders. But pfl-asm is way out of date.

- Russ

Back to the top