Re: [glassfish-dev] GlassFish updates for the javax -> jakarta transition

Russell Gold wrote on 1/11/20 5:36 PM:

>>> orb -> orb-gmbal -> [orb-gmbal-commons, orb-gmbal-pfl]
>>>
>>> Note: orb-gmbal-pfl contains a very old version of asm under the artifact id pfl-asm. If Glassfish is still using that, we’d want to remove it.
>>
>> Remove it from GlassFish, so that the ORB uses its own private version?
>>
>> Or remove it from orb-gmbal-pfl, so the ORB uses the version in GlassFish?
>
> The ORB does not depend on Glassfish, so it would be difficult automatically to use the same version, I suspect. But if the pfl-asm dependency is removed from Glassfish, I can work on getting rid of it completely. I believe that other parts of gmbal-pfl still need it.

Sorry, I'm not following what it is you think needs to be done here.

I have no idea whether GlassFish is using pfl-asm directly, although certainly
it is using it indirectly because it's using the ORB and the ORB is using it,
right?

>>> Currently, the ORB is built so that it should run under JDK11 (pfl-basic is an MR jar). Some additional work will be needed in Glassfish to take advantage of that.
>>
>> What kind of work would be needed in GlassFish?
>>
>> How is pfl-basic related to orb-gmbal-pfl?
>
> orb-gmbal-pfl used to be called, simply, pfl, and consists of a number of projects, including some only used for testing. I’d like to get rid of the latter. The important ones are pfl-basic and pfl-dynamic.

And those are in an MR jar that works in JDK 11?

So there's no need to get rid of pfl-basic or pfl-dynamic, right?

>> Does the ORB's version of ASM work under JDK 11?

>>> How would I figure that out?
>>
>> Well, at this point I don't think that will need to happen, but I'm checking
>> to be sure.

>>> There could be a fair bit, there. Not sure how you schedule my time with Tom Snyder.
>>
>> In fact, I don't think this will need to be done, but we will need the entire
>> ORB and RMI-IIOP support to work correctly in a JDK 11 runtime, as part of
>> providing backward compatibility for those products that need it (e.g.,
>> WebLogic), including EJB interoperability support.
>
> I’ve already done that work for WebLogic. Glassfish just needs to use the updated APIs, I believe.

Is that work already in the Eclipse project?

What's involved in converting GlassFish to use the updated APIs?

Back to the top