Re: [dash-dev] Maven Repository at Eclipse

Am 11.03.2011 16:46, schrieb Alex Blewitt:
> On 11 Mar 2011, at 15:26, Aaron Digulla wrote:
>
>> I was thinking in a similar way. Using snapshots for the milestones
>> doesn't work. Creating a new repo for each milestone doesn't scale.
>> My objection with "M01"..."RELEASE" is the sort order.
>
> the M01..RELEASE sort order works, provably so, since Virgo uses it
> at the moment.

Good. Proof is better than hope.

> Why do you think it doesn't work for milestone and
> release artifacts?

That's not what I said. I'm worried about I and N builds. That would
give the order "I M N REL" which is probably wrong.

>> Tools like the version tool of Maven should offer the latest
>> version. If you run it today, I get "20030203.000129" as the latest
>> version of "commons-lang" (instead of 2.6).
>
> Agreed, which is what we want to avoid.
>
>> So M1..REL would work but mixing that with I and N builds
>> wouldn't.
>
> So we don't use -I and -N. Both of these are really just -SNAPSHOT
> builds, which Maven already handles. I'm not sure whether we want
> those to be in the same repository anyway; or if we do, we want to be
> able to separate them out (c.f. snapshot.apache.org and
> repository.apache.org)

I feel the same. Mixing snapshots and releases is bad.

>> Which gives me an idea: How about we use the artifactId?
>>
>> org.eclipse.core - Releases
>
> wouldn't work for OSGi consumers of Maven bundles, like Felix. That's
> why Spring used -RELEASE.

OK.

>> org.eclipse.core-I - Integration builds org.eclipse.core-N -
>> Nightly builds
>> org.eclipse.core-M - Milestone builds
>
> Suggest -SNAPSHOT in both cases. If necessary, we can partition the
> repository in Nexus with 'nightly' and 'integration' to distinguish.

Right now, I feel we should separate them. Any reason not to?

Regards,

http://blog.pdark.de/

Back to the top