Re: [che-dev] Workspace.Next

There are several "developer" use cases:
- development to provide new features
- maintenance of existing and running app in prod
In maintenance use cases,it is very important to the developers to be as close as the production environment, and to be able to inject additional softwares for debugging are investigating things on top of the initial runtime env. For instance adding a Java VM agents, and/or connect to the runtime in debug mode.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 9:20 PM Gorkem Ercan <gorkem.ercan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 19 Dec 2017, at 2:38, Oleksandr Garagatyi wrote:

> What we have been discussing with Gorkem some time ago is a separation
> of
> development stack and user's application step.
> I believe it is something similar to what Mario says.
> My idea is that user doesn't want to describe his development
> environment,
> but wants to put his production environment and add some functionality
> provided by Che.
> For example, a user has prod with a spring boot app and DB. He wants
> open Che and put his compose/k8s recipe to create workspace and choose
> what
> he needs java support, visual tool for querying the DB, maven,
> terminal to
> call maven and git operations, etc. Then Che should do some magic to
> provide a workspace with all of these components merged somehow.
> What would be needed for the user next is an ability to redeploy his
> app
> after he changed sources. And this redeploys should not (if possible)
> involve running spring boot app inside of development containers t
> deliver
> sources. Delivering sources should be a problem for a tool, aka Che,
> not
> the user. It is the place where those build container (s2i) are
> needed.
> I understand that this is a major change, but this would provide much
> better UX and would behave in a quite an intuitive way for a user.

+1

When developers have their own existing images or when they use a
service that generates codes and image definitions.
Che is not the easiest to work with. We need to eliminate this step of
workspaces.

OTOH when a developer starts with Che stack and define his/her
workspace, we are more helpful with the workspace.
However, what the user is creating in this case is also his/her runtime
environment. I think we should also acknowledge that
and Che should become a tool for defining runtime in addition to
workspace.