Re: [ve-dev] Visual Layout Problem

Hi,

Three things:

First, questions like these (how to use the VE, the VE isn't working, things like that) should be asked on the eclipse.tools.ve newsgroup. This mailing list is intended for the VE developers themselves to communicate with each other.

Second, try hitting the pause/reload button. This is the button on the toolbar that looks like two vertical yellow bars. Hit once to pause, and the hit it again to reload. That should cause the VE to reparse the file from scratch instead of incrementally. When you just make changes in the code we try to be incremental and only respond to the change. But a change of supertype is a major change and we don't always respond well to that. The pause/reload tells the VE to throw away what it has and to reparse the entire file instead of incrementally.

If this still fails, then there may be a cache problem. In that case do the following:
  1. Open the VE, then close it and all other VE's.
  2. Do Project->Clean...->Clean all projects, wait for build to finish.
  3. Open the VE. It will now of cleared out the cache.

And third, you should step up to VE 1.1.0.1. That is the latest VE that works on Eclipse 3.1 and has many fixes in it. You should be able to do it through the update manager on the Eclipse workbench.

Thanks,
Rich

Fran Varin <FVARIN@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ve-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/06/2006 10:35 AM

Please respond to
Discussions people developing code for the Visual Editor project <ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[ve-dev] Visual Layout Problem

I am running Eclipse 3.1.0 build I20050627-1435  and visual editor version
1.1. I have a class that extends JPanel with several controls placed on it.

Initially it was just fine, I was able to visually edit the class. However,
I accidently changed the extends clause from JPanel to JScrollPane. That
caused the visual editor to loose the visual formatting. I caught the error
and changed the JScrollPane back to JPanel and now all I have is a single
contiguous line (from left to right) of each of the controls in the JPanel.
I have totally lost the orientation of each control.

When I look at the source all of the layout is preserved and when I run the
class it renders perfectly. However, the visual editor is useless to me
since it will not format the JPanel correctly.

Is there a way to "fix" the rendering?