Re: [ve-dev] running sweet

I'm guessing that veritcal or block cell merging can be done by placing a floating composite that covers the 4x4 cells as the rectangle top left and bottom right can be calculated - or maybe we only need to set its width and height and anchor the top and left. How would this compare GC based rendering performance? Any issues?

jxtable is a nice open source jtable implementation, that has some extra features like frozen columns:
http://xframe.sourceforge.net/swing/jxtable.html

Mark
Mark Proctor wrote:

virtual table stuff sounds great.
With regards to merge I mean if you merge two cells, one above the other, or even a block of 4x4 cells.

Mark
David J. Orme wrote:

Mark Proctor wrote:

I've just seen that CompositeTable does implement virtual tables,
although not quite sure how that works - seems to create a new internal
table for each redraw.

Nope. When you build a UI, you create a custom control that extends Composite. You drop this into CompositeTable to tell CompositeTable what your row looks like. CompositeTable uses reflection to get a Constructor object (the Star Trek replicator (tm) object) and then duplicates your row object for as many rows as are visible at a given time. Scrolling is implemented by rearranging these Composites. For example, to scroll down by a line, CompositeTable does the following:

- Move every row object up by 1 row.
- Move the top row object to the bottom row position.
- Fire a row refresh event to ask the content provider to refresh the bottom row with new data.

So redraws are very efficient. On Linux/GTK my keyboard can't repeat enough to cause CompositeTable to get behind, although there are a few other places where the Linux/GTK implementation is slow enough that my keyboard autorepeat can out-type it.

Does a Composite per row mean you wont be able to
do vertical merges?

Not sure what you mean here?

Best,

Dave Orme