Re: [ve-dev] running sweet

I've just seen that CompositeTable does implement virtual tables,
although not quite sure how that works - seems to create a new internal
table for each redraw. Does a Composite per row mean you wont be able to
do vertical merges?

Mark

Mark Proctor wrote:

Looking at the table implementations CompositeTable uses composites for each row where as KTable seems to use GC to draw everything. How do these two implementations compare, ie advantages of one over the other. The GC technique means it only draws what it has to based on a "visibility" method to determine visible data, ie virtual tables. How would composite achieve this. I'm trying to determine if CompositeTable is a better approach than using GC to render each individual visible cell.

Mark
David J. Orme wrote:

The sweet1 stuff is a data binding implementation. It has more abstraction than JGoodies and also has more defaults set, so you can learn about the abstractions incrementally as you go along.

Sweet 2/3 are prototypes of "bridge" APIs (to use Gili's terminology) to surface the sweet1 stuff as Eclipse Platform API. We started working with the JFace team today on this.

At this point, the only thing that is settled is that we are all going to make a concerted effort to have some sort of simple data binding API in Eclipse for 3.2.

Best regards,

Dave Orme

Mark Proctor wrote:

starting to understand the sweet implementation, haven't looked at sweet2/3 yet. Just read the jgoodies binding framework presentation - http://www.jgoodies.com/articles/binding.pdf - has anyone looked at that presentation/framework? how does this stuff compare?

Mark
David J. Orme wrote:

Mark Proctor wrote:

Two frameworks? In the source how do I know which framework is which? I've seen there is sweet1, sweet2 and sweet3. Also are there any quick ramblings on how these work, to help when delving into the code?

sweet is my stuff; sweet2/3 is Gili's team's work.

Look for packages ending in .test for (basic) examples.

Regards,

Dave

Mark

David J. Orme wrote:

Mark Proctor wrote:

Ah thats what you get for skim reading :)

I'm spending some time now trying to work out how this data binding stuff works. The Binding Proof of Concept doesn't use the CompositeTable right and is the only current working example? Once I've figured out how this works I'm going to see if its possible to shoe horn ktable into this. Well atleast thats the theory, if I can get enough time :)

FYI: There are actually two frameworks here.

Mine is complete for all the use-cases it currently implements, works, and is deployed at two clients of mine--parts for over six months now and over a hundred sites. CompositeTable is a part of my framework. Gili's is a spike solution sketching out some of the API for how you could do a binding framework on top of JFace.

Stay tuned for how each framework will eventually be used/deployed. We're right now in the process of working that out.

Regards,

Dave Orme