[udig-devel] initial contribution - installer

Installer scripts (*.nsi) are just source scripts to create a windows installer. To create an installer from such source file you need runtime components from nullsoft - these are not committed in the repository. If developers have nullsoft installed on their hosts they can create an installer, otherwise not. So we don't have any direct dependency to nullsoft software and can build uDIG completely without it.
The scripts themselves are probably okay. I'll investigate a little further.
They are informed from the nullsoft docs and the installer script used by GeoServer (written by Chris Holmes). He answered a few questions on the email list at the time, but if it helps we can ask for an explicit email.
Distributing the bits from an installer is an entirely different matter. I think I addressed this in my previous note.
You did, but I am left wondering what a good installer would be to use?

NSIS is on source forge if that helps (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page). The license situation are here (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/License).

So two options:
1. I can try out the process (was it the CQ process?) and submit this project as something I would like to use
2.  There is always a chance to let another organisation package up the app on their own download site as an installer. (This is how PostgreSQL does things, they release source and EnterpriseDB makes windows installers that most people use).
If the intent is just to provide scripts that can be used to generate the installer, but not actually distribute the results, then we may be able to get away with a "works with" CQ (see discussion below). If the intent is to distribute the installer, then we have some work to do.
Well first priority can be, keeping the scripts and focus on getting us a codebase to work on. But yes having a windows installer is important in reaching our target audience. Not only for users, but the ability to run a silent installer with the /Q option is required to depot uDig out into a managed operating environment.

Jody

Back to the top