Re: [udig-devel] RFC : native support bundles for java advanced imaging

Wow that is fun.

So it uses some tricks on the OSGi publish side:

It also needs client code to "opt-in" using either:
- static (i.e. post process your classes)
- or dynamic (special OSGi class loader that injects stuff around ServiceLoader.load(Class) method)

So here is what is making things strange for me; my understanding is that ...
a) this would work great for GeoTools :-) We can load it up in a dynamic OSGi class loader thing that forces GeoTools to opt-in
b) This may not work for ImageIO as it hooks into the image format support provided by the JRE (i.e. at a much lower level then OSGi - and I do not know how we can for the JRE to "opt-in")

Still you are on to something so by all means give it a go!

--
Jody Garnett