Re: [udig-devel] RFC : native support bundles for java advanced imaging

You are correct; if you can get the jars into the mix using another technique then we do not need to make use of them as a JRE extension.

I do have one small word of caution - JAI and ImageIO use the Java Service Provider Interface technique to "plugin" to each other. This technique is not compatible with OSGi; as OSGi does not allow a plugin to advertise the META-INF/services folder anymore.

GeoTools also suffers this problem; I have tried a couple tricks; such as making the plugins share a buddy class loader; but thus far have not been successful.
--
Jody Garnett