Re: [udig-devel] integrating the map viewer as plug-in in own RCP app

On 25/06/2010, at 11:22 PM, Silin, Konstantin wrote:

Hello,

I would like to integrate a simple map view/editor into my own RCP app.
I guess, using a local shape file as the map source would be the most
basic approach. The tutorials only cover ways to extend uDig with
plug-ins but not the other way round.

It is true; doing it the other way around is part of the commercial training course (which is offered from a number of organisations).

The source code for the training materials is available; perhaps you can learn from that. Or if you are an academic we have an arrangement where we can make the training materials available to you.

I have completed the quickstart and the distance tool tutorial, I also
familiar with creating and extending RCP apps ( without  being an expert
at it). What I do not know is, which parts of uDig I need to
include/depend upon to create a basic uDig plug-in for external use.

The net.refractions.project.ui plugin defines the MapViewer; so you need everything it requires. You should also grab just the catalog plugins you need for your application.

Reading the mailing list, I discovered it to be quite a common problem
for which no clear solution was provided, so I would gladly participate
in creation of a tutorial covering this issue. Would someone please
point me in the right direction (the more detail the better)? Please no
RTFM answers - there has to be a comfortable solution for mere mortals.

I would support you in writing up an example; either for the docs or for the the wiki.

The source code for the commercial docs is a good starting point:

Tracking

  • net.refractions.udig.tutorials.rcp
  • net.refractions.udig.tutorials.rcp-feature

This tutorial covers:

  • Gathering just the udig plugins you need into your own feature
  • Adding a MapView to your application
  • Placing a Domain Object on the Map Blackboard (simulating the tracking of seagulls)
  • Creating of a GlassPane to quickly draw updates using Draw2D (to draw the current position of seagulls)

Back to the top