Re: [udig-devel] 1.2 M4

Hi Jody,
the ECW EULA 3.5 section states:
Obligations for Persons Distributing Libraries or Participating in Open Source Projects including the ECW/JP2 CODEC SDK.  If You will distribute a LIBRARY or are using the ECW/JP2 CODEC SDK in connection with an open-source project or other, similar work, You must distribute this license along with the object or source code of the work and give Your end users the opportunity to decline these license terms and cease downloading the work that contains or uses the ECW/JP2 CODEC SDK in whole or in part.
Therefore I think your installer should propose the ECW license before to proceed with the installation.
As an instance, our windows installer won't install the ECW part in case the user doesn't accept the EULA which is displayed during the installation. Moreover in our imageio-ext links (the ones which don't provide the windows installer) we say to the users that they NEED to read the EULA before downloading our native libs leveraging on ECW.

ECW EULA also contains notes about END APPLICATIONS:
END APPLICATIONS is defined as desktop [...] products [...]. The source code of END APPLICATIONS is not intended to be delivered to or modified by a user.
For END APPLICATIONS, you should take any steps to ensure the enforceability of the EULA (See 3.4 and 3.5 sections of the EULA). As an instance, user should accept the ECW EULA before using your product leveraging on ECW. However, I don't know if UDIG (desktop product) may be considered as an END APPLICATION since you distribute your source code.

Anyway, for any clarification, I suggest to you to take a look on the EULA to get more info.

Finally, you should include in your package the Imageio-ext licenses files.

Hope this help.
Regards,
Daniele