Re: [udig-devel] Printing plugin creates extra map and page+map

Hi Luke:

I found some of the functionality in the export > print workflow.

I am actually having trouble with any labels on this release; emily
was asking for feedback as she made some label changes (to account for
labels with the tiled renderer).

Emily here is what I have found:
- labels work the first time
- but not the second :-) Hitting refresh or panning can sometimes
bring them back; it is almost like the rendering process gave up on
them arriving
- when creating a new page the labels often do not show up in the
contained map; right clicking and refreshing the preview can make it
happen

So Luke I think some changes to how label cache is being used have
resulted in your bug report; the problem does not seem limited to the
printing process.

Jody
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Good Afternoon Luke:
>
>> G'day,
>>
>> When using the print plugin in uDig, I'm coming across a few issues. I'd
>> like to clarify with someone whether they're know bugs, intended behaviour
>> or something I'm doing wrong.
>
> What version are you using; just so I know where we are starting from.
>
>> 1) When I print a map, the preview page has lables on layers such as
>> roadnames on roads. However, when it is sent to the printer, these lables
>> are not printed.
>
> This may be a mistake; if you look closely you may see the labels are
> printed using the correct number of pixels - that is very very small.
> This is a problem that was fixed on the development branch of uDig...
>
>> 2) When I print a map, it opens up a preview window called "page+map".
>
> This is not a preview; it is a new document in your project called a
> page. You can print this page multiple times; and you can open up the
> embeded Map in order to change the location being printed; or toggle
> on and off a couple of layers.
>
> On the development branch of uDig there is the option to directly
> print a Map; rather then create a page based on a Map.
>
>>  If I close uDig and reopen  it, i will then have 2 coppies of my map and a copy
>> of this "page+map" window. Each time I print, I get an extra map and another
>> "page+map".
>
> The functionality you describe should be known as "new page" - it asks
> for a template; produces a new page based around a copy of the map.
> You can work on this modified version of the Map by choosing it in the
> projects view.
>
> Project
> +- MapA <-- origional
> +- PageA  <-- page
>   \-- MapA <-- map being printed
>

>> Is anyone aware of these issues and is there anything I can do about them?
>
> I am trying to establish if you are seeing:
> - bugs; or
> - a workflow that is not clearly documented
>
> Jody

Back to the top