Re: [udig-devel] udig-1.2 for linux and mac

Well I'm actually working on making a gentoo build which is by far the
hardest package to make, because instead of downloading and unzipping
gentoo want you to download the source code and compile it, in an
automated fashion.  But when/if I get that working it will probably
have lots of side benefits of making everything else a lot easier.

Also to Craig from my experience the real hard part of being a package
mainter is setting it up the first time and then documenting what you
did.  If you do that upgrades are a lot easier.

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Craig Taverner <udig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I second this idea. But there is a catch. At least for Ubuntu, and I suspect
> for all (most) other linux distributions, the suppliers do not directly
> support packages that are not commodity (widely used). Less commonly used
> packages (which uDIG would be), are usually supported by community
> volunteers. In Ubuntu's case, there is a 'masters of the universe' group of
> people responsible for re-packaging applications for the distributions
> 'universe' set (which means applications not officially part of the core
> distribution, but still available for easy install/upgrade through the
> package manager).
>
> What this boils down to is we need a few volunteers from the uDIG community
> to perform this role for each distribution: repackaging each new uDIG
> release in the appropriate format with appropriate dependencies, and publish
> to the relevant download sites/indices.
>
> I could imagine performing this role for Ubuntu, but am not able to
> guarantee I will have the time to commit. In addition, I'm not aware of all
> requirements for admission to the 'masters of the universe'. I have no idea
> what other distributions require.
>
> If we do go ahead with this, it will result in increased popularity for
> sure. Modern linux users really like their apps to be properly supported by
> the OS distribution, for the reasons Harry mentions.
>
> Cheers, Craig
>
> P.S. In an ideal world, uDIG would be made of a number of smaller packages,
> java, jai-imageio, eclipse, geotools, udig. But I think udig is a long way
> from being easily fragmented like that.
>
> P.P.S. I just saw Andrea Aime comment, but think it is easy enough to
> require sun-java6 explicitly as a dependency

Thanks Craig Taverner I was just going to point that out.