Re: [udig-devel] uDig on Eclipse in Ubuntu

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 09:35:03 Omar Handouk wrote:
> Harry & Jody,
> thanks to support me.
> So, the question is this:
> I did step by step what the guide says ...
>  when I run uDig, I have 2 different configurations:
> in Windows it's allright, but my notebook sucks, so temporal performance
> are too much slowly in Ubuntu, when I run uDig (in Eclipse) I don't have
> the string for the program arguments automatically. So, I don't know why,
> and I don't know what kind of string I must put in program arguments
> textarea.... The error message is this:
>**** /usr/lib/eclipse/jre/bin/javaw.exe: 1: MZ����@���: not found
> /usr/lib/eclipse/jre/bin/javaw.exe: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected
> (expecting ")")
>****
>
> Please help me,
>
> Ciao
>
> Omar
Hi Omar: our development environment is kubuntu (kde 4), Eclipse Europa
(3.3.2) and java sdk 5 (sun distribution).
Let me show some details about our environment.

$ update-alternatives --config java

There are 2 alternatives which provide `java'.

  Selection    Alternative
*         1    /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/bin/java
 +        2    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java

where the default jre is 1.5.

Of course, don't forget install JAI.

Some details about the udig product run configuration
Run > Main > java run time envirotment
your java 1.5 should be selected

Run >  Arguments > VM Arguments
-Xmx386M -Dosgi.parentClassloader=ext -ea

eclipse.ini (I think this is the reason why you have performance problems)

$ cat eclipse.ini

-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
-vmargs