[udig-devel] Headless build on trunk

I have a working environment where I can build and run uDig trunk successfully within Eclipse 3.4.

Now I'm trying to run a headless build using the stuff in extras/headlessbuild, and I've got stuck.

I'm using the same Eclipse installation that works interactively as a base or eclipseLocation for the headless build, but that fails.

The README says

<quote>

The most difficult part about the build is creating a good 'buildtarget'.  The build target is an
eclipse with all the dependencies and the delta pack.  Because the error messages are poor it can be quite challenging
getting it right.

</quote>

and this seems to be true...

At first, I got a whole bunch of error messages, mostly from *.nl1 bundles lacking a dependency in the range [3.2.0, 3.4.0), which I found rather strange, seeing that I was trying to build against a 3.4 target.

I discovered that these were caused by the extras-3.4.0 archive which I'd unzipped to my Eclipse dropin folder, as indicated somewhere in the Wiki pages on SDK setup. For example, this archive contains a fragment org.eclipse.core.jobs.nl1 with the following manifest headers:

Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.core.jobs.nl1 ;singleton=true
Bundle-Version: 3.2.0.v200606220026
Fragment-Host: org.eclipse.core.jobs;bundle-version="[3.2.0,3.4.0)"

Does it make sense at all to use a 3.2.0 fragment for a 3.4 build?

I removed all that extra stuff from the dropins folder. After that, my interactive uDig still works (or I should say, the subset of uDig that my own plugins depend on), so I'm not really sure what this extras archive is needed for...

Anyway, it is probably a good idea to use a separate Eclipse installation for the uDig headless build, to avoid any interference with other plugins.

But then the question remains: Should I simply take an Eclipse 3.4 SDK download? Do I need to install additional features or plugins?

Regards,

Harald

innovative systems GmbH Navigation-Multimedia
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Edwin Summers - Kevin Brown - Regis Baudot
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg - Registergericht: Hamburg HRB 59980

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und loeschen Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the contents in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.