Re: [udig-devel] EPL, UDIG and Geotools license

Hey,

        Warning: This message comes without careful study --- I haven't
        even read the page you link to. Still it might help you parse
        the situation.

"Compatability" can mean a lot of different things. Generally, the
question is whether two bits of code can be integrated and
re-distributed under a single license: e.g. take some BSD code, put it
in your app, and then release your app under the MyLicenseOfTheDay
license.

uDig "the app" can be viewed as a collection of plugins, each
distributed under their own license. This still restricts what can
happen but without needing the strong compatibility I described above.

Fundamentally, each plugin must be license coherent internally and all
the licenses used by all the plugins must have licenses that allow users
and redistributors to bundle up the plugins jointly.

The question then is not "Can LGPL and EPL code be merged and released
under only one of the two?", which is what the poster considers and has
as a generally accepted answer "no", but rather "can I distribute
several programs jointly some of which are EPL and some of which are
LGPL and then can I run an LGPL program using the EPL program?", which
is a much less strict form of compatibility and we believe the answers
to be "yes, of course" and "yes".

Does that help clarify things?

--adrian

Back to the top