[udig-devel] EPL, UDIG and Geotools license

I found this discussion regarding EPL and LGPL licensed library (Hibernate), which states that LGPL and EPL are not compatible:

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/modeling-pmc/msg00305.html

The discussion also links to list of compatible licenses

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/EclipseLegalProcessPoster.pdf

(second page, right)

For an unmodified binary distribution, the
following licenses are considered compatible
as of the date of this Poster’s release:

Apache Software License 1.1
Apache Software License 2.0
W3C Software License
Common Public License Version 1.0
IBM Public License 1.0
Mozilla Public License Version 1.1
Common Development and Distribution
License (CDDL) Version 1.0
BSD
MIT

Incompatible Licenses Include:

GNU GPL 2.0
GNU LGPL
Sun Binary Code License Agreement

As I interpret this discussion, this means that either:

a) Geotools and UDIG have to be dual licensed (LGPL and EPL) to be distributed together with Eclipse platform. However, Geotools uses other libraries which are under LGPL, JTS for instance, so I don't know if such licensing is possible at all, even if Geotools and UDIG projects would be willing to consider it.

b) Geotools and UDIG plugins must be downloaded by user and installed into Eclipse platform separately

I am confused.

-a

Back to the top