Re: [udig-devel] EPL, UDIG and Geotools license

>         Warning: This message comes without careful study --- I haven't
>         even read the page you link to. Still it might help you parse
>         the situation.

Same for me and add that I have problems with understanding licenses :)

> "Compatability" can mean a lot of different things. Generally, the
> question is whether two bits of code can be integrated and
> re-distributed under a single license: e.g. take some BSD code, put it
> in your app, and then release your app under the MyLicenseOfTheDay
> license.
>
> uDig "the app" can be viewed as a collection of plugins, each
> distributed under their own license. This still restricts what can
> happen but without needing the strong compatibility I described above.
>
> Fundamentally, each plugin must be license coherent internally and all
> the licenses used by all the plugins must have licenses that allow users
> and redistributors to bundle up the plugins jointly.
>
> The question then is not "Can LGPL and EPL code be merged and released
> under only one of the two?", which is what the poster considers and has
> as a generally accepted answer "no", but rather

QUOTE:
> "can I distribute
> several programs jointly some of which are EPL and some of which are
> LGPL and then can I run an LGPL program using the EPL program?", which
> is a much less strict form of compatibility and we believe the answers
> to be "yes, of course" and "yes".

That is the problem if I got that right. As far as they told me you are
not allowed to distribute them jointly. You should distribute the
plugins and ask the user to download the EPL part on its own.

Andrea