Re: [udig-devel] How to get started with Renderer

Andrea,
GO-1 renderer's goal is to keep and expand J2D performances and functionality and decrease it's complexity with a better architecture. I've used J2D in the past and I cant say that I'm steel impressed by it's performances and it's capacity to render Windbarbs, dynamic scalebar big raster images etc. ..

On the memory consuption side, Martin said it was something not so difficult to fix, so I'm sure it will be manageable in GO-1 renderer.

I'm just about to find funds to start this work (if everything goes right it will start this summer). So wait'n see, I'll keep you in touch (and then I'm sure you will restart your work on the vector stylling ;-) )

Cheer's

/me crossing fingers about fund raising task.

Well, if it look even slightly like the old Renderer2D, God save us... only Martin was able to work against it, me, Jesse (and I think even
James and Jody) tried to work against it, and failed.
It was way too complex (besides being totally memory bound). The streaming renderer was written by James and Ian, not the current mantainers, yet me, David and Jesse managed to underdstand, patch and improve it by ourselves. Despite being undocumented, it was orders of magnitude easier to understand and extend.

Last FOSS4G there was some discussion about the new renderer but I guess
we have not gotten around to that work yet.

Yep, indeed.
Cheers
Andrea