Re: AW: [udig-devel] Supporting custom file types in uDig

Hi Harald,

On Monday 18 June 2007 17:02:10 Wellmann, Harald wrote:
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> thanks for the link to the DataStore tutorial, I wasn't aware of that one.
>
> Actually, it seems I did just what the tutorial says in creating a
> WktDataStore, a WktDataStoreFactory and a WktFeatureReader. These classes
> only depend on geotools and jts, not on uDig.

fair enough, glad you figured it out by yourself :)

> But then I also had to figure out the correct extension point of uDig and
> to implement a WktServiceExtension, a WktServiceImpl and a WktResourceImpl
> which do depend on uDig and which I found harder to get right than the
> DataStore stuff, and I still don't really understand when and how uDig
> invokes my service; it seems to be a lot more often than I would have
> expected.
I never did that kind of extension myself, so I don't feel proficient enough
as to give you a good advice. Anyway, sure someone with more experience will
pop up and answer your doubts.

> So I still think it would be worth while to create a tutorial that covers
> both the uDig and the Geotools part.
sounds good, and once you get up to business it would be a nice contribution
if you can set up such a page on the wiki.

regards,

Gabriel.