Re: [udig-devel] Supporting custom file types in uDig

Hi Harald,

The following advise is from my experience, so do not take it too seriously :)

In general, to add support for a new vector based format, it is desirable to
start by implementing a GeoTools DataStore.
There is a tutorial on how to do it for a sample format in .properties files
at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTDOC/05+Creating+a+DataStore+Tutorial

Even though you do can make your own uDig plugin to handle your format without
having to implement DataStore, there are a couple advantages in doing so:
- you get out of the box rendering capabilities. Otherwise I guess you'll have
to implement your own renderer for your data model
- you also get out of the box querying and editing capabilities (as far as you
implement transaction support in your datastore)
- access to your data gets a wider audience than uDig itself (as geotools is a
widely used library)
- some uDig tools that works for DataStore/FeatureSource/FeatureStore will
work for you (for example, spatial operations)

I'm sure I'm missing a lot and might be wrong in some else, but that's what I
would do if I were in your shoes...

cheers,

Gabriel