Re: [udig-devel] Does anybody know another Selection Tool than "Box selection"?

Hi Sergiy and Jesse,

sorry for chiming in so late.

Right now, among bbox selection you can "hand select" features by selecting
rows in the Table View.

As for extra selection tools, from the top of mu head I could think of the
following alternative selection methods, which guess would be useful as
selection tools:

- Line selection: select all features that instersect the line drawn by the
tool
- Polygon selection: same by polygon
- Band selection: asks the user to specify a buffer distance over the line to
be drawn, and use the resulting polygon as intersection filter
- Circle, draw a circle to be used as intersection filter
- Overlay: opens a dialog to specify selecting all the features of a given
layer that intersect/touch/disjoint/cross/contains/are within/overlaps the
(selected?) features of another layer.

And of course an attribute driven selection, which might well be a CQL (Common
Query Language) editor to specify a selection filter in a SQL'like way.

Ah, and to feel it complete enough, I would add next to the Edit/Clear
Selection menu option, an option to "Invert selection".

As for how the selections are handled, IMHO once a selection filter is set to
a layer and it happens no features satisfy the criteria, the layer's
selection filter should be reset to Filter.NONE, just as if there were no
filter at all. Rationale is as follow:
- it is very common that a user, clicks on a point where there are no feature
to clear his current selection. This instead sets a bbox filter which gets
none.
- If a selection filter which returns no features is set, but the data changes
at the backend (say features are added outside udig that touch the geometry
in the selection filter), the next rendering will show up those features as
selected. It seems more reasonable, again, IMHO, that once a selection is
made it is not changed but by a user request.
- Selection filters that lead to no features selected may force some logic to
be more complex than needed, like a spatial operation that works over the
selected features if there is a selection set, or over the whole layer if
not. The user may wonder why is he getting a "no selected features" message
if he explicitly cleared the selection by clicking outside any feature!

My 2c.

Gabriel.

So I would like to propose