Re: [udig-devel] some suggestions to "windows users" in order to make udig plugins

Elias Ruiz wrote:

Hello

Thanks for your help. I notice that this mailing list works. (I am new in this free software stuff)

Now it is my turn to help a little.

I’ve found that my problem was caused for “my” particular behaviour as a “windows user”: “just plug and play”. So I don’t read all the instructions: http://www.refractions.net:8080/confluence/display/DEV/0+SDK+Quickstart

Maybe I can give a few suggestions:

Sure.

    * In the installation and download web page you should aggregate
      one link or an standing out to the “windows”, “visual studio”,
      “visual basic”, etc. users (really something similar already
      exist but it seems it doesn’t work fine for me) that encourage
      to them to follow the instructions on the web page indicate before.

I did try to isolate all the instructions needed to the developers guide.
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/Home
This is where you found the SDK quickstart....

    * Also I noticed that the svn component takes its time to download
      the latest version of the program and there are a couple of
      downloads that exceeds the 100 Megabytes, so a “common” windows
      user means “a lot of time” to download, you should warning them
      on it, and aggregate something like “this is the way of software
      free community makes its development effort”. Believe me, not
      all the windows users likes extended downloading time.

I am not sure svn should be used by "all windows users", svn should only really be needed for those wanting to work on uDig itself (and is the subject of the project guide):
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Project+Guide

    * Also you should standing out the mailing list time response (I
      see that it is hours or one day as a maximum). It is know that
      windows users doesn’t like this way to “support” their
      applications but I see that it works

A day to an hour is a very good response time :-) (Thanks Jesse). You will do even better if you jump on IRC.

However there is something we like even more: there is a list of organizations (Refractions Included) that offer commercial support.
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Support

By the way, I have another question: Yesterday I can configure the udig and eclipse environment but I can’t compile the udig application. The question it is not how can I compile the complete udig application, but if it is possible only to configurate the eclipse environment (until the step 2 in the eclipse preferences in the web page mentioned before) in order to develop udig plug-ins.

I am not sure I understand your question; you can configure your eclipse environment prior to bringing any source code into the picture. The best way to develop plugins is to the SDK as your target and not do any compiling of uDig code.

Jody

Back to the top