[udig-devel] some suggestions to "windows users" in order to make udig plugins

Hello

Thanks for your help. I notice that this mailing list works. (I am new in this free software stuff)

Now it is my turn to help a little.

I’ve found that my problem was caused for “my” particular behaviour as a “windows user”: “just plug and play”. So I don’t read all the instructions: http://www.refractions.net:8080/confluence/display/DEV/0+SDK+Quickstart

Maybe I can give a few suggestions:

  • In the installation and download web page you should aggregate one link or an standing out to the “windows”, “visual studio”, “visual basic”, etc. users (really something similar already exist but it seems it doesn’t work fine for me) that encourage to them to follow the instructions on the web page indicate before.

  • Also I noticed that the svn component takes its time to download the latest version of the program and there are a couple of downloads that exceeds the 100 Megabytes, so a “common” windows user means “a lot of time” to download, you should warning them on it, and aggregate something like “this is the way of software free community makes its development effort”. Believe me, not all the windows users likes extended downloading time.

  • Also you should standing out the mailing list time response (I see that it is hours or one day as a maximum). It is know that windows users doesn’t like this way to “support” their applications but I see that it works

By the way, I have another question: Yesterday I can configure the udig and eclipse environment but I can’t compile the udig application. The question it is not how can I compile the complete udig application, but if it is possible only to configurate the eclipse environment (until the step 2 in the eclipse preferences in the web page mentioned before) in order to develop udig plug-ins

Thanks a lot

Elias Ruiz

Back to the top