From: Cory Horner [mailto:chorner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, 16 February 2007 9:03 AM
To: User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
Subject: Re: [udig-devel] udig user list

Shaun Kolomeitz wrote:
> I'm playing catch-up (for the most part) with other more experienced
> uDIG users, and find the development learning curve an absolute
> nightmare (even though I can program to some extent). Unfortunately
for
> a person like myself (and I suspect I am not the only one), it's just
> not that straightforward or simple to understand.
> I'd like to get into the programming side, but find the "simple"
> examples just don't work for some reason. Unfortunately I need to get
> few things up and going in a very short time, and despite spending
many
> hours looking for pointers and examples, there is no simple guide (for
> what I want to do anyway).
> There is so much I'd like to do with uDIG. It (as a potential broader
> corporate solution) offers so much potential, but at the moment
appears
> to have a much steeper (and more complex and convoluted) learning
curve
> than our current commercially based solution (which needs scripting to
> customise). I guess you have to live with that considering what you
> "pay" for uDIG. I think uDIG is fantastic and really appreciate the
> efforts of those who are investing there blood, sweat and tears into
it.
> I only wish I could do the same.

Hi Shaun,

uDig is still very young, but we are making progress.  We really would
like to know what aspects of uDig contribute to the slope of the
learning curve.  Unfortunately the documentation may be a little out of
synch because of the longer-than-usual development cycle of the 1.1
series.  When you encounter an example that doesn't work, please let us
know and we'll do our best to correct it.

Thanks,
Cory.

Disclaimer

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) has originated from a Queensland Government department and may contain information that is confidential, private, or covered by legal professional privilege, and may be protected by copyright.

You may use this e-mail only if you are the person(s) it was intended to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately by phone or e-mail and delete this e-mail, including any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hardcopies.

Unless otherwise stated, this e-mail represents the views of the sender and not the views of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Although this e-mail has been checked for the presence of computer viruses, the Environmental Protection Agency provides no warranty that all viruses have been detected and cleaned. Any use of this e-mail could harm your computer system.  It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with your computer system).

E-mails sent to and from the Environmental Protection Agency will be electronically stored, managed and may be audited, in accordance with the law and Queensland Government Information Standards (IS31, IS38, IS40, IS41 and IS42) to the extent they are consistent with the law.

Back to the top