Re: [udig-devel] udig user list

Shaun Kolomeitz wrote:
I'm playing catch-up (for the most part) with other more experienced
uDIG users, and find the development learning curve an absolute
nightmare (even though I can program to some extent). Unfortunately for
a person like myself (and I suspect I am not the only one), it's just
not that straightforward or simple to understand.
I'd like to get into the programming side, but find the "simple"
examples just don't work for some reason. Unfortunately I need to get a
few things up and going in a very short time, and despite spending many
hours looking for pointers and examples, there is no simple guide (for
what I want to do anyway).
There is so much I'd like to do with uDIG. It (as a potential broader
corporate solution) offers so much potential, but at the moment appears
to have a much steeper (and more complex and convoluted) learning curve
than our current commercially based solution (which needs scripting to
customise). I guess you have to live with that considering what you
"pay" for uDIG. I think uDIG is fantastic and really appreciate the
efforts of those who are investing there blood, sweat and tears into it.
I only wish I could do the same.

Hi Shaun,

uDig is still very young, but we are making progress. We really would like to know what aspects of uDig contribute to the slope of the learning curve. Unfortunately the documentation may be a little out of synch because of the longer-than-usual development cycle of the 1.1 series. When you encounter an example that doesn't work, please let us know and we'll do our best to correct it.

Thanks,
Cory.

Back to the top