Re: [udig-devel] Re: Current and future requirements

On 6-Feb-07, at 5:18 AM, Andrea Antonello wrote:

Is there a particular reason for waiting for gdal for the ECW support?
We used to have it in JGrass through the ermapper library. As far as I
know gdal will have the same problem, i.e. that you can't distribute the library. However you can produce the code and let the user download the jar on its own. It is tricky, but I assume gdal has the same problem (I
can't remember right now). Something changed in the licenses, but I
didn't gave it a look.

Well now I know. I really don't know what formats JGrass supports, Oh to have more time :). So in light of this news I think we can expect ECW support thanks to JGrass sooner than gdal wrapper.

Other two questions:
- is there some thought about a usermanagement in udig? Something like: I have more than a user that is doing simulations with udig and he needs to have to login so that the system can keep track of who is doing what.

We have no had too much need as of yet. We do have support for SSL so that a dialog will open when trying to connect to a server with SSL. We can discuss how to do this tomorrow.

- I see it is possible to color features by classes. In the style wizard
in the combobox there are max only 12 possible classes. Why is that
limited to 12?

This is not a requirement. Currently the color schemes have a maximum of 12 colors. However it is easy to add one that is a color range and can have a large number of colors. The colors that are used right now were the results of the color brewer study so they are colors that work together well.

With the current set if there are more than 12 groups in the data then multiple groups will be assigned to a color.

Jesse

Back to the top