Re: [udig-devel] running udig and eclipse in parallel

Hi, Jesse,

Jesse Eichar wrote:

> The difficulty here is that a FID must be consistent over time, ie  must
> refer to the same feature regardless of whether features are  added or
> deleted.  I admit that one should still be able to view the  data
> regardless, maybe the editing wouldn't be possible but editing  really
> should.  I will make a bug report to this effect and try to  fix it in a
> timely manner.

Okay, we actually have a distinct ID on every table, but it is not
created as primary key (and does not even have a unique index on most of
the tables as our own apps usually select on the geometry index.

Most time, I need read-only access only, mostly for investigations of
some special cases where our app chokes on the data.

I'm happy to define a primary key in for editing / writing cases. Btw,
this actually is one of the reasons I'm evaluating uDig: I'm looking for
alternatives to QGis, which needs an int4 as primary key (we usually
have int8), and even manages to crash the X server (!) on a rather
large, but valid polygon (about 1.5 mio vertices, and about half a
million of them in the outer ring).

Maybe I'll put together my results, and post them here or somewhere on
the web and the pointer here.

Markus