Re: [udig-devel] not able to connect to PostGIS

On Aug 27, 2005, at 1:51 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:

The strange bit of behavior is a result of how the wizard/driver tries to populate the "list-o-databases" drop down. Behind the scenes, it attempts to connect to the "template1" database and query the system tables for a list of databases. But in a privilege-constrained world (like our open database, or really any managed system) access to template1 is not blanket allowed to all user accounts. So the attempt to populate the drop down fails with an access denied. But that doesn't mean that you can't still connect to databases you know about and have privileges for (like demo-bc).

Kinda figured that. A bit disconcerting when not all DBs are public. Is there any way to detect that without trying to login? How about a 'Scan DB' button instead of an automatic attempt? I think that would be easy enough for people to understand and not disrupt the smoothness of the postgres layer setup process. Having a failed unnecessary login attempt is more disruptive.

WRT the driver, the line protocol did not change between 7.4 and 8.0 so the old driver works on the new database. Regardless, it would be good for uDig to ship with the new driver, since backwards compatibility is guaranteed more than forward over the long run.

Can you think of any reason why the old driver woudn't work on my own postgis DB? Varizi had the same problem with his DB (also Mac OS X udig). It makes me wonder if I missed something in setting up the DB - I followed the steps from the OSG workshop, and queries from the CLI psql work. Or it's some Mac OS X thing.

I'll have to play with it some more at work next week to make sure everything else works (I only had time to verify that it displays without null pointer exceptions before heading home).

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike. Cheating, murdering, lying, fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of weaklings. And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan

Back to the top