Re: [udig-devel] error with GeoTiff file

Jody,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a GEF view?  I would be glad to help out testing plugins, but my time is a bit limited this week - I'm attempting to finish up the first draft of my M.S. thesis.  I will be glad to help in any way I can though.

As far as raster capabilities go, the ones I use most are georeferencing (warping), subsetting, resampling, classification (both supervised and unsupervised), and raster arithmetic.  Being able to add, multiply, subtract, divide images by constants
or other images is highly useful.  I do really like the OSSIM method of image processing chains rather than something like Idrisi where every step creates a new image file.  For this reason, using Idrisi uses a lot of storage space on your hard
drive and requires a lot of cleanup work.  As a benefit though, you don't have to worry about your work being lost and you can re-use certain steps.

I know that georeferencing is a big one, but the Java Advanced Imaging API includes most of what's needed.  The only things needed are the polynomial coefficients and the image in a form available to the API.  I have been wrestling with free
software intended to perform georeferencing for some time.  Hypercube works OK but is a bit of a pain to operate.  In fact, my Hypercube processed georeferencing operations have been consistently much more accurate than identical operations in Erdas
Imagine 8.7.  I still use Imagine, though, because it's so much easier to use than Hypercube.  For those of you that are familiar with Imagine, if its easier to do in a complicated and non-user-friendly program like Imagine, you are in a tight spot!

I have been planning to write my own open-source Java JAI based georeferencing program utilizing GDAL to fill in this missing link in the Open Source geospatial world.  The biggest difficultie comes in getting the images in (GDAL wrapper for Java
isn't available to my knowledge), designing a friendly user interface, and writing an appropriate least-squares adjustment for computation of the polynomial coefficients.  All of the difficult stuff is done in JAI.  This would, of course, have to
wait 'til I'm done with the M.S. thesis!

Kenton Williams

Back to the top